Pickleball and Tennis Bookmark this
Pickleball - Pickleball is here in Oak Island, right in your backyard. “America’s fastest growing sport”, Pickleball is a hybrid of badminton, ping pong and tennis, played with improvised wooden paddles, a whiffle ball and a shortened badminton net. The game was “born” almost 50 years ago and is now available in most communities throughout the US. The game is usually played with doubles; however, singles is also an option.
You are invited to join the fun every Monday and Wednesday at 46th SE (behind the Town Hall facility). There are four courts with all the equipment to play the game and enjoy playing. Don’t know how to play? No worries, some of the regular players will take the time to teach beginners and before you know it, everyone is having fun and enjoying themselves.
Where there is pickleball you know there will be tennis. Tennis courts can be found:
- Middleton Park- Behind Oak Island Town Hall -4601 E. Oak Island Drive, Oak Island
- Southport Community Building- Behind 223 E. Bay Street, Southport
- Lowe-White Memorial Park - Corner of Leonard and Willis Drive, Southport
- Smithville District Park - 8340 Southport-Supply Road, Southport
- Bald Head Island Club House - (Private)
- St. James Plantation (Private)
- River Run Plantation (Private)
- Palmetto Creek (Private)