Healthcare and Emergency Services Bookmark this
The healthcare, law enforcement and emergency service professionals serving the Southport-Oak Island area are first class. Below is a snapshot of these services and the agencies who provide them.
- NC State Highway Patrol, primary mission is to reduce collisions and make the highways as safe as possible.
- Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office, led by Sheriff John Ingram. They safeguard lives and property as well as protect the innocent from becoming victims of deception and oppression, while always respecting the people’s constitutional rights. The sheriff is an elected position. They also provide protection in our schools, courthouse and county jail. After acquiring the county’s animal Shelter, the Brunswick County’s Sheriff’s Office Animal Protective Services, the animal placement rate improved 15% over the previous year’s rate.
- Municipal Police Departments, local law enforcement is charged with upholding the laws on the streets and in the neighborhoods of the city or town.
Want to volunteer? Consider the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office Citizens Volunteers . These well trained volunteers provide support in Animal Protection Services, Administration, and augment deputies by responding to traffic accidents for traffic control; conducting traffic control functions for special events; assisting with escort assignments; assisting stranded motorists; and conducting special patrol checks of businesses, parks, and schools among many other functions. In the first nine months of 2013, they achieved a historic high level of support, contributing 13,600 hours at a value to the taxpayers of nearly $230,700.
- U.S. Coast Guard –Station Oak Island, 300 Caswell Beach Road, Caswell Beach
- Brunswick County Emergency Services, 3325 Old Ocean Hwy., Bolivia, houses the county’s EMS, 911 Center, Fire Marshal, volunteer center and Emergency Management which provides coordination of resources and decision making during disasters.
- Municipal Fire Departments and Rescue Squads in our area are a mix of paid and volunteer personnel. They have the most up to date equipment, facilities and training. Mutual aide agreements between the towns ensure you are always served.
- Oak Island Water Rescue provides emergency services support on the beaches of Oak Island.
Lower Cape Fear LifeCare - Most hospice patients are served in their home. If home care is not possible, patients can receive care in a hospice facility. Patients are admitted to a hospice care center for around-the-clock pain and symptom monitoring, for family members to gain caregiving skills or receive rest from care giving, and if home care is not possible during the last days of life. Also, care centers serve as training centers for clinical students and offer educational programs on end-of-life topics.
Our community is served by two hospitals with excellent reputations,quality physicians, dentists, ophthalmologists, optometrists,chiropractors, massage therapists, immediate care facilities, clinics, long and short term care facilities, and home health care professionals.
A healthy lifestyle is simple in the Southport-Oak Island area with the many outdoor activities and the local fitness/aquatic facilities.
Dosher Memorial Hospital is licensed for 36 acute care beds (staffed for 25 beds as a Critical Access Hospital) and 64 nursing center beds. Dosher has a staff of 350, a medical staff of nearly 50 physicians, and is supported by more than 200 hospital volunteers. Last year, the hospital served about 13,800 patients in the Emergency Department, over 1,750 outpatients in the OR, 400 inpatients in the OR, 96,800 outpatients in Lab Services, 21,000 inpatients in Lab Services, 2,800 outpatients in Cardiopulmonary, 4,800 inpatients in cardiopulmonary, 24,800 outpatients in Diagnostic Imaging, and 1,900 inpatients in Diagnostic Imaging.
The following are the services provided by Dosher Hospital:
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiopulmonary and Respiratory Therapy
- Diabetes Education
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Services
- Laboratory Services
- Lymphedema Management
- Nutritional Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Sleep Disorder Laboratory
- Speech Therapy
- Inpatient and Outpatient Surgical Services & Procedures
- 24-Hour Emergency Department
- Wound Care
- Dosher Medical Plaza (Lab, MRI, DEXXA, Digital Mammography and Specialists)
Dosher Medical-Oak Island (Rural Health Clinic) As our community continues to grow, so does the need for primary care physicians, especially those who accept patients with Medicare or Medicaid coverage. To help meet this growing healthcare need, Dosher Hospital has established Dosher Medical Associates, located in the medical office park behind the hospital, and Dosher Medical-Oak Island, a new medical clinic to provide care for families in Oak Island and the surrounding area.